HIA GreenSmart Homes
A GreenSmart house is a sustainable home created using environmentally responsible housing design ideas, building techniques and products. The key principles of building a home with environmental features include correct site orientation to maximise solar design principles, natural ventilation, insulation, thermal mass and flooring.
A GreenSmart house will:
- Improve the water and energy efficiency of the home reducing energy bills and costs
- Create healthier homes for occupants
- Provide options to make the home more adaptable for all stages of life
- Reduce waste from the building process
- Improve site management during construction.
Why not consider a HIA GreenSmart professional to help you with these ideas. HIA GreenSmart homes choose to voluntarily go beyond current building regulations for energy and water efficiency, along with looking at the way the home is built to make sure the impact on the environment is reduced.
In Tasmania we need to consider:
- High thermal mass solutions are recommended.
- Use high insulation levels, especially to thermal mass.
- Maximise north facing walls and glazing, especially in living areas with passive solar access. Minimise all east and west glazing.
- Use double glazing and heavy drapes with sealed pelmets to insulate windows.
- Site new homes for solar access, exposure to cooling breezes and protection from cold winds.
- Use reflective insulation to keep out summer heat
- Use bulk insulation to walls, ceilings and exposed floors.
Working with your HIA GreenSmart professional, you can choose the best options to meet your needs and the block you’ve selected. Not everything may be right for your situation or your budget. You might want to focus on energy or water, rather than upgrading all aspects of the home.
Homes that make the most of HIA GreenSmart principles can be great to live in – comfortable all year round, quiet and draught-free, reducing energy and water bills. They are good for the environment, reducing pollution and making better use of natural resources.
The benefits to you, the home-owner
The benefits of building the GreenSmart way to you, the home-owner, are that your home will be:
- cutting edge
Feel good about making a contribution and make a difference to your environment, by building the GreenSmart way.
Who is a GreenSmart Professional?
GreenSmart homes are built by accredited builders who have completed HIA’s GreenSmart Professional Training Course. HIA is the official body of Australia’s home building industry and represents the interests of the housing industry at both regional and national levels
Jakobovski Homes will focus on three key elements to make a difference:
Preventing pollution from your site, during the building stages
The benefits to you, the home-owner
- give you a comfortable home needing only minimum heating and cooling
- allow you to enjoy the best of natural ventilation
- lower your running costs
- be cool in summer and warm in winter
- reduce greenhouse gas emissions into the environment
Waste minimisation in the building process will:
- reduce landfill and greenhouse gas emissions
- conserve valuable resources by recycling
- reduce costs
make a cleaner safer site
- make a cleaner world
Building the GreenSmart way
Improving energy efficiency
House designs exceed typical minimum energy rating requirements set by local Councils. Passive design features are incorporated into all homes to minimise the need for mechanical heating and cooling. Energy saving lights, tinted windows, insulation products, efficient appliances and both solar and gas hot water systems are used to demonstrate a variety of ways to save energy.
Improving Water Efficiency
Landscaping incorporates local indigenous plant species and is designed to minimise water use and encourage indigenous fauna habitation. AAA-rated tap ware and shower heads are used throughout the homes. Rainwater tanks can be installed for external water usage. Censored lighting and irrigation systems that can be set to minimise energy and water usage are displayed.
Waste Management and Recycling
GreenSmart builders attempts to optimise recycling opportunities and the use of recycled product or product with a recycled content in both the construction of the houses and their associated gardens.
What can the home-owner expect from a GreenSmart builder?
Building with Jakobovski Homes means you are using an accredited GreenSmart professional, who will create a home you will be proud of. Jakobovski Homes will design your house so that it will be comfortable and cost efficient to run, manage your site environmentally when building your home, and best use the natural features of your land to achieve all of this.
GreenSmart is a package of practical environmental measures that emphasises environmental and affordability considerations at the same time by focusing on the full cost of constructing, owning and running a home.