WHAT IS AN 'ANCILLARY DWELLING'?
An ancillary dwelling is also known as a secondary dwelling, tiny home or a granny flat. Regardless of the name, they’re a self-contained living unit located on the same property as the primary residence. These second dwellings serve as an additional living space that is separate from the main house while sharing the same land.
These dwellings offer a range of benefits and are becoming increasingly popular for various reasons.
Benefits of building an Ancillary Dwelling
- Extended Family Accommodation: An ancillary dwelling provides a convenient and comfortable living space for extended family members. For example, they allow elderly parents or adult children privacy and independence. It’s a home away from home, just a short walk from the main house. Alongside these benefits, they are the perfect solution for short stays, where everyone can enjoy the comfort of having their own living space.
- Home Office or Studio: With the rise of remote work, an ancillary dwelling can be transformed into a dedicated home office or a creative studio space. It offers a quiet and productive environment away from the distractions of the main house. Therefore, they’re a great way to separate work from home life, allowing you to focus on the task at hand. Whether that’s client calls and emails, or artistic work – they offer a dedicated space for your chosen activities.
- Rental Income Potential: Ancillary dwellings can be an excellent source of rental income. Homeowners can lease the unit to tenants, providing an opportunity to generate additional revenue and offset mortgage or maintenance costs. With a shortage of accommodation in Australia at the moment, finding small, affordable housing is a top priority for many renters. As a result, building a high-quality second dwelling on your property could pay for itself in just a few short years!
- Increased Property Value: Adding an ancillary dwelling to your property can significantly increase its value. Because these versatile living spaces are attractive to potential buyers or renters. Therefore making your property more appealing in the real estate market. As a homeowner, finding ways to improve your property and increase its value are always a priority. Therefore, adding a tiny home to your property is a great way to do just that!
- Flexibility and Versatility: Ancillary dwellings come in various designs and sizes. These range from fully self-contained units to attached or detached structures. Therefore they offer flexibility in terms of layout, amenities, and functionality. Alongside this, they allow you to customise the space to suit your specific needs and preferences. Ultimately, the flexibility in design allows you to create your dream space. Here at Jakobovski Homes, we’ve designed and built many ancillary dwellings. We’ll begin by listening to your needs, then present a variety of options. Finally, we’ll come up with a design that fits your goals (and looks fantastic, too!)
Why choose Jakobovski Homes?
At Jakobovski Homes, we specialise in designing and constructing high-quality ancillary dwellings. Above all, we’ll create a second dwelling that perfectly complements your lifestyle and property. Our team of experts will work closely with you to create a functional and aesthetically pleasing living space that meets your requirements.
Interested in adding value to your property?
Explore the possibilities of an ancillary dwelling by contacting us today for a consultation. Let us help you unlock the full potential of your property with our professional craftsmanship and attention to detail. Want to stay up-to-date with our latest ancillary dwellings? Head to our Facebook and Instagram channels to see what we’ve been up to. Contact us more an obligation-free chat and to learn more today.
OUR ANCILLARY DWELLINGS
GreenSmart is a package of practical environmental measures that emphasises environmental and affordability considerations at the same time by focusing on the full cost of constructing, owning and running a home.